Does my policy cover me to drive other cars?

If you are aged 25 or over, then in a majority of cases we will cover you to drive other cars, although please note that there are some exceptions to this rule, for example some occupations will not be covered. 

Please do not assume that you are covered without first checking either your Certificate of Motor Insurance or by calling us.

If your policy allows you to drive other cars it will be indicated under section 5 of your Certificate of Motor Insurance. If indicated, and whilst you are driving any other car, 1st Central will provide Third Party only cover for any accident involving the car. This covers any amounts you are legally liable to pay if someone else is injured or killed or their property is damaged but not any damage to the car you are driving.

Your Certificate of Motor Insurance will be / will have been emailed to you when you took out a policy with us but can also be accessed within your secure customer portal.

We also now tell you when you get a quote whether you are insured to driver other cars:

 DOC Shown at Quote Level

The following conditions must be met for this cover to apply:

  • You must obtain prior permission from the owner of the car
  • You are still in possession of your own car, it is still insured and it has neither been damaged beyond economical repair nor stolen
  • The other car is not owned by you and is insured by another insurance policy to drive on the public highway (and is not a rental car, or hired to you under a hire purchase or leasing agreement)
  • You are not named as a driver of the other car on any Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • You are not using this cover to remove the car in the event it has been seized by, or on behalf of, any government or public authority